Matthew Weisberg concentrates his practice on financial injury-based litigation, including business disputes, legal malpractice, real estate litigation including mortgage foreclosure, and consumer fraud. Matthew also represents victims of civil rights and employment violations. A peer-acclaimed trial attorney, Matthew also represents individuals (including attorneys) in disciplinary matters.
A true "lawyer's lawyer," Matthew is proud to continuously receive referrals and praise from unaffiliated attorneys (even surprisingly from those who were once his opposing counsel) and community leaders. In fact, Matthew regularly represents attorneys in their personal legal matters. He also serves as an expert witness in complex legal malpractice and title insurance matters, including having been retained by an opponent's law firm in multiple matters.
Matthew has appeared before the United States Supreme Court (Rotkiske v. Klemm) and Pennsylvania Supreme Court (Clark v. Stover).
Before joining the firm, Matthew practiced with Weber, Gallagher, Simpson, Stapleton, Fires & Newby, L.L.P. (focusing on general liability defense and commercial foreclosures) and McCabe, Weisberg & Conway, P.C. (representing large, primarily subprime lenders and investors in residential mortgage foreclosure and lender liability-related litigation). Matthew also clerked for the Honorable Albert W. Sheppard Jr. and was an extern for the Australian Federal Parliament. For the Parliament, he published "G-D Save the Queen," on behalf of the Honorable Brendan Nelson, M.P. (leader of the Liberal Party).
He lives with his two sons and wife in Montgomery County and enjoys reading and cigars.
Matthew was admitted to practice in both state and federal courts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey in 2000. Matthew was also later admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court (where he was administered the oath by the late Chief Justice Rehnquist just weeks before his passing). He also practices throughout federal courts up-and-down the east coast (pro hac vice).
He has appeared live on "The Real Estate Connection," WURD (900 AM), "Fox and Friends" and CNN. He has been featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer, the New York Times and USA Today.
Matthew writes monthly articles on attorney liability for the Pennsylvania Law Weekly, and is a bi-monthly columnist for The Legal Intelligencer.
Matthew was previously appointed counsel to the Children of Jewish Holocaust Survivors Association and the Jewish Holocaust Survivors Association, as well as Habitat for Humanity-Delaware Valley.
Pro bono and in conjunction with the office of state Sen. Shirley Kitchen (ret.), Matthew previously consistently offered consumer foreclosure and lending counseling at churches and schools throughout North Philadelphia. On the last Saturday of every month, he provided legal assistance for "walk-ins" at Sen. Kitchen's Philadelphia office.
Matthew is also an active member of Texas Equusearch and is on-call to conduct physical searches for missing children.
On May 22, 2008, Matthew received the 2008 Third District Community Leader Award at the 12th Annual Senior Citizens and Community Leaders Luncheon.
- Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- The Pennsylvania State University, State College, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1997
- Major: Political Science
- “Predatory Lending in the Refi Era: A Primer” , The Legal Intelligencer, 2005
- “Residential Mortgage Foreclosures: Procedures & Practicalities” , The Legal Intelligencer, 2006
- “Liability Arising Out of the Sale of Residential New Construction”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2006
- “Home Improvement Loan Fraud-Caveat Emptor”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2006
- “Multi-Jurisdictional Foreclosure Litigation & The Foreclosure Explosion (and Sub-Prime Implosion)”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2007
- “Philadelphia's Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Diversion Pilot Program,”, The Legal Intelligencer, 2008
- “Twombly: Heightened Federal Pleading Requirement” , The Legal Intelligencer, 2009
- “Judicial Profile (Hon. John Padova)” , The Federal Lawyer, 2009
- “Gist of the Action Doctrine Intersects the Parol Evidence Rule” , The Legal Intelligencer, 2009
- “Foreclosure Rescue Scam: A Narrative Lesson” , The Legal Intelligencer, 2010
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice” , Pennsylvania Law Weekly, 2011
- Chairman, Planner & Presenter, "Issues in Commercial Mortgage Foreclosures", Lorman Educational Services, April 28, 2005 - Present
- Chairman, Planner & Presenter, "Real Estate Litigation", Lorman Educational Services, April 7, 2005 - Present
- Chairman, Planner & Presenter, "Creditor's and Lender's Rights", Lorman Educational Services, May 18, 2005 - Present
- Presenter, "Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law - Personal Injury Protection", Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management (U.S.A.), Inc., July 28, 2004 - Present
- Presenter, "Complex Litigation Case Management -The Paralegal's Role", National Business Institute, March 23, 2005 - Present
- Presenter, "Advanced Post-judgment Collection", Lorman Educational Services, September 13, 2005 - Present
- Presenter, "Title Examination", Lorman Educational Services, August 17, 2005 - Present
- Presenter, "Title Examination and Real Estate Litigation", Lorman Educational Services, December 1, 2005 - Present
- Presenter, "Current Lending Compliance Issues: An Update for Lending Officers, Bankers and Attorneys", Lorman Educational Services, April 5, 2006 - Present
- Presenter, "Fundamentals of Real Estate Practice", Pennsylvania Bar Institute, August 22, 2006 - Present
- Presenter, "The Keystone Conference", The Mortgage Bankers Association of Pennsylvania, September 22, 2006 - Present
- "Issues in Residential Mortgage Foreclosures", Lorman Education Services, July 19, 2007 - Present
- "Fundamentals of Real Estate Closings", Lorman Education Services, July 27, 2007 - Present
- Presenter, "Foreclosure and Repossession", Lorman Education Services, May 12, 2008 - Present
- Presenter, “Solving Complex Title Problems” , Half Moon Enterprises
- Presenter, “Essentials of Foreclosure Defense” , Law Review CLE
- Presenter, “Complying with Federal Mortgage Lending Laws”
- Presenter, “Foreclosure Essentials” , Law Review CLE
- Moderator, “Consumer Protection Law,” Law Review CLE, April 25, 2013
- Presenter, "Fundamentals of Mortgage Foreclosure," Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, February 15, 2015
- Moderator, "Legal Malpractice Fundamentals," Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, April 2015
- Moderator, "Legal Malpractice Fundamentals," Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, November 2016
- Moderator, "Legal Malpractice Fundamentals," Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE, December 2017