Philadelphia Legal Malpractice Attorneys
Can I Sue My Former Attorney for Legal Malpractice?
Lawyers are licensed professionals who are uniquely and exclusively qualified to practice law. Hiring an attorney carries with it the expectation that you are working with someone who holds themselves accountable to the standards of their profession. If your previous attorney made avoidable mistakes that were detrimental to your case, you may have cause for holding them liable for legal malpractice.
Each attorney at Weisberg Law is committed to holding themselves and our firm to the highest possible standards when we practice law. If an attorney you worked with before failed to do so, we can hold them accountable in a legal malpractice lawsuit. Doing so can help you recover fair and just compensation from someone who you trusted with an important legal matter.
Why Hire Weisberg Law for Your Legal Malpractice Claim?
If you’ve already been failed by an attorney, you’re probably hesitant to hire yet another lawyer, even if it means pursuing a legal malpractice claim. However, at Weisberg Law, we pride ourselves on doing things differently.
Individuals throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey regularly choose us because:
- We have over 20 years of experience
- We’ve helped thousands of clients in Philadelphia and surrounding areas
- We offer affordable pricing and free consultations
Our Philadelphia legal malpractice attorneys understand how important each and every case is to our clients. We believe our clients deserve close communication and accessibility from those who are handling their case and strive to respond to any question within 24 hours.
What is Legal Malpractice?
In layman's terms, legal malpractice is an attorney's failure to perform their services with reasonably acceptable skill and knowledge which resulted in a poor outcome of their client's case.
According to Pennsylvania law, the following must have occurred in order for the situation to be considered legal malpractice:
- You and the attorney had a contract for their services
- Your attorney failed to exercise ordinary skill and knowledge while handling your legal matter
- Your attorney's failure caused you to suffer damages
If all three of these elements are present then you most likely have a case for legal malpractice. To get more information about your case, contact the Philadelphia legal malpractice lawyers at Weisberg Law for a free consultation.
How Can I Recognize Legal Malpractice?
An unfavorable outcome in your case isn’t a definitive feature of malpractice, but it can indicate that your attorney did something incorrectly. The legal system, however, is full of twists and turns that can blow over even the strongest cases on paper. Not even a mistake on your former attorney’s behalf may be enough to hold them accountable for malpractice unless it was avoidable and crucial to your case.
That said, there are some clear examples of what may constitute legal malpractice:
- Failing to pursue all available causes of action in your case
- Missing the statute of limitations or a deadline to file a client’s claim
- Engaging in conflicts of interest, such as becoming involved in a client’s business investment
- Failing to deliver court-ordered expert reports by stated deadlines (medical expert reports, real estate valuation report, affidavit of merit in a professional liability claim, etc.)
- Failing to respond on time to a court-ordered deadline
Cases with these elements can be successful in a malpractice lawsuit, but no result can be guaranteed when taking legal action against someone. However, Weisberg Law is dedicated to helping our clients reach favorable results by offering services that can help them build them seek favorable outcomes and compensation for their losses.
What Should I Do If I Suspect Legal Malpractice?
If you want to hold an attorney accountable for malpractice, a Philadelphia legal malpractice lawyer from Weisberg Law can help you build a case that can prove you hired an attorney who failed to live up to their duty to you as their client. We may then be able to demonstrate that their failure was avoidable and caused you financial harm.
Understanding the Consequences of Legal Malpractice
Legal malpractice can have serious consequences for individuals and businesses alike. When a lawyer fails to meet the expected standard of care and their negligence results in harm or financial loss, you may have grounds for a legal malpractice claim. It is important to understand the potential consequences of legal malpractice and why it is crucial to seek experienced legal representation.
Some of the potential consequences of legal malpractice include:
- Financial loss: Legal mistakes can result in significant financial loss, including lost opportunities, missed deadlines, and lost cases.
- Legal complications: Inadequate representation or errors in legal strategy can lead to unnecessary legal complications, delays, or unfavorable outcomes.
- Damage to reputation: A lawyer's negligence can damage your personal or professional reputation, causing harm that extends beyond the immediate legal issue.
- Emotional distress: Dealing with the aftermath of legal malpractice can be emotionally distressing, causing anxiety, frustration, and a loss of trust in the legal system.
At Weisberg Law, our experienced legal malpractice lawyers understand the complexities of these cases and are dedicated to helping you maximize your legal recovery. With our expertise and commitment to our clients, we will diligently pursue your case to hold negligent attorneys accountable and seek the compensation you deserve.
Begin with us today by reaching out to a legal malpractice attorney in Philadelphia. Contact us online to schedule a free consultation to help you understand how we can support you.
With their constant never-ending support, they got justice for me.
“They helped me get my life back. I will always remember how empowered I felt after I testified and when the case was over (in my favor!).”
They get the job DONE!!
“These guys were totally professional. When no one would take my legal malpractice case, they did and won!”
Helped make a change for the better in our community.
“Weisberg Law was the only firm that took an interest in our racial discrimination case against a local school district.”
Takes an interest and makes changes!
“Had it not been for their taking the case, we would not have been able to enforce changes in our school and community to better protect our children.”
Goes above and beyond what is expected.
“In a 10-minute conversation with Matthew, after being referred to him by a friend, he had given me peace of mind.”